Ethica is a restaurant and bar located in The Hague and derives its name from Spinoza’s philosophy on Ethics. The restaurant aims to make the environment more sustainable and thus create a better future for everyone. This concept is used as the basis of the restaurant. Therefore, they ensure that their products are grown, produced, and processed in a sustainable manner.
The majority (80%) of Ethica's meals are vegetable-based. The remaining 20% are prepared with meat that is in surplus in the Netherlands. Ethica also grows their own products in the two vegetable farms located in and around the restaurant; they consist of fruit trees, herb plants, and cultivated vegetables. They also produce their own soft drinks, beer, tempeh, soy sauce, kimchi, and fish sauce. Through this, Ethica knows the exact origin of the ingredients they use and can guarantee that they were produced sustainably.
Sustainable Cities and Communities: Ethica organizes workshops and courses that create awareness on the importance of sustainability within the local community.
Responsible Consumption and Production: Ethica only uses surplus meat for meals and produces their own vegetables.
Climate Action: Ethica helps to reduce CO2 emissions during the production process because they produce their own vegetables, drinks, and sauces which need little to no transportation.